Thursday, April 1, 2010

Interesting India!

I’m excited that I get to represent India in the Model UN, because after having studied there in January, I feel a special connection to the country, and the stark contrasts that exist within the country. While some information I knew on my own, I was also surprised to find some of the demographics and more specific population numbers about the country. What was most interesting to me is that India, a country that is roughly one-third the size of the United States, has over three times the population of the US. These numbers help to show how densely populated the country is, which is the cause of many issues within the country. A lack of resources mixed with a country of contrasting religious beliefs and views almost inevitably causes war and unrest.

Although India is less populated than China, it is also the world’s largest democracy. Each state within India has their own government, and I was very surprised to find out that the President of India was a woman, as I would have expected a man in power, because of the traditionalist gender views that the country has a reputation for. Also, I was surprised to find that there were 28 different states within India, because each state seems so large and populated.

In researching, I was also very surprised to learn about some of the rituals and common practices that I did not see when I was studying abroad. For instance, I had no idea that half of all women in India will marry before the legal age of 18, and that the overwhelming majority of all marriages are arranged. While I knew that these practices were common in India, I did not realize that they were still in the majority today.

What I wanted to learn most about to prepare for this conference was the Indian Armed Forces, and its power and involvement today. I found that India has the largest army in terms of active manpower, and the second largest in terms of military personnel. Also, I found that the army was completely voluntary, which was something that I had not expected, as I have learned that other countries in the Middle East mandate participation in the armed forces. While the Indian Army has been involved in many wars, it has also played a large role in UN peacekeeping missions. I was surprised by how highly regarded the Indian Armed Forces was internationally. Also, I was surprised to learn that the Indian Navy was one of only six navies in the world with nuclear capabilities.

While I studied a great deal about democracy within the state of Kerala, the model there does not reflect India in its entirety. I wanted to know more about democracy as a countrywide ideal. It seems that religion plays an integral part around support of a candidate or a particular party, and that much of the confrontation without government exists in the conflict between Hinduism and Islam. Another aspect of Indian culture that plays a role in government are the particularly caste systems, with people not voting outside of their caste, and the norms of their caste.

Along with religious and caste differences, it seems that the overpopulation within the state is the reason for much tension. Because of the sheer number of people, there are limited jobs, and such intense poverty that is difficult to change. People in rural areas re being neglected simply because there are not enough resources to meet everyone’s need and thus, India’s problems largely exist domestically.

No comments:

Post a Comment